Attacks on Christians in India continue to go unpunished
Alliance Defending Freedom attorney to testify Tuesday before US House subcommittee
Monday, February 10, 2014
WHO: Alliance Defending Freedom Legal Counsel Tehmina Arora
WHAT: Testimony on persecution of Christians in India
WHEN: Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 10 a.m. EST
U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations; Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2172; 45 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, or watch live video feedWASHINGTON
— Alliance Defending Freedom Attorney Tehmina Arora will testify Tuesday before the U.S. House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations chaired by Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ). Arora will speak about the increasing persecution of Christians in India and how crimes against them are going unpunished.
“Christians should have their legal rights protected no matter what country they are in. The persecution of Christians in India calls for a concerted legal effort to deter future attacks and to bring about justice,” said Arora. “Emergency measures must be taken to stop the brutal torture and ruthless murder of Christians and the senseless destruction of their property.”
For example, the All India Christian Council estimates that out of the 84,000 people accused of violence against Christians in India’s Orissa province, 478 persons have been convicted for small offenses, such as burning houses and damaging property. Only nine people have been convicted for their role in killing Christians.
Other speakers scheduled to testify Tuesday on the worldwide persecution of Christians include the following:
- Elliott Abrams, commissioner of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom
- John Allen, associate editor of The Boston Globe
- Jorge Lee Galindo, director of Impulso 18
- Benedict Rogers, East Asia team leader for Christian Solidarity Worldwide
- Khataza Gondwe, Africa and the Middle East team leader for Christian Solidarity Worldwide
- Printed testimony of Tehmina Arora before U.S. House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations (2014-02-11)
- Video of subcommittee hearing (2014-02-11)
- International legal updates
- Pronunciation guide: Tehmina Arora (Tuh-MEEN’-ah Uh-ROAR’-uh)
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
# # #