Whole Woman’s Health v. HellerstedtTo book an interview, click on the "Book an Interview" button on any page at ADFmedia.org.
Friday, July 01, 2016
Description: Abortionists in Texas filed suit against the state's women’s safety law known as House Bill 2. Most recently, they challenged a provision that requires abortion facilities to meet the same health and safety standards as ambulatory surgical centers, and a provision that requires abortionists to have admitting privileges at a local hospital in the event a woman must seek hospital care due to post-abortion complications.
US Supreme Court strikes down Texas law protecting women
Monday, June 27, 2016
“Abortionists shouldn’t be given a free pass to elude medical requirements that everyone else is required to follow. We are disappointed that the Supreme Court has ruled against a law so clearly designed to protect the health and safety of women in the wake of the Kermit Gosnell scandal. The law’s requirements were commonsense protections that ensured the maximum amount of protection for women, who deserve to have their well-being treated by government as a higher priority than the bottom line of abortionists. Any abortion facilities that don’t meet basic health and safety standards are not facilities that anyone should want to remain open.”
Aden will join Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to discuss the case in a briefing for the media at 12 p.m. EDT. Log in via web using password SCOTUS or via phone using PIN 902439#. Primary dial-in number is (425) 440-5100; secondary dial-in number is (602) 281-1903.
ADF attorneys filed a brief with the Supreme Court on behalf of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American College of Pediatricians, the Christian Medical & Dental Association, the Catholic Medical Association, and Physicians for Life.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
Additional resources: Whole Woman’s Health v. HellerstedtScroll down to view additional resources pertaining to this case and its surrounding issue.
Friday, July 01, 2016
Previous news releases:
- 2016-03-01: ADF: No free pass for abortionists who won’t follow basic health, safety laws
- 2016-02-04: ADF to US Supreme Court: Abortionists shouldn’t get free pass to risk women’s health, safety
- 2015-11-13: US Supreme Court to weigh in on Texas law against cut-and-run abortionists
- 2015-06-09: 5th Circuit upholds Texas law against cut-and-run abortionists
- 2014-11-10: Pro-life groups, doctors ask 5th Circuit to uphold Texas law against cut-and-run abortionists
- Steven H. Aden: Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt: The silence of Justice Kennedy and the future of abortion jurisprudence (George Washington Law Review, 2016-07-01)
- Casey Mattox: 20,000 problems facing abortion advocates at the Supreme Court (Federalist, 2016-03-01)
- Kerri Kupec: Texas abortion case is women’s health ‘no-brainer’ (Daily Signal, 2016-03-01)
- Alison Howard: Even without Scalia, Supreme Court has ample reason to affirm law protecting women’s health (Townhall, 2016-02-23)
- Catherine Glenn Foster: A supreme opportunity to support women's health (Washington Examiner, 2016-02-11)
- Elissa Graves: I am the first lawyer in my family – and I did it all without needing abortion (The Hill, 2016-01-25)
Legal documents, related news, and other related resources available in the right panel when this page is viewed at ADFmedia.org.