Hollingsworth v. PerryTo book an interview, click on the "Book an Interview" button on any page at ADFmedia.org.
Monday, March 25, 2013
Description: In May 2009, attorneys representing two men and two women in California filed suit in a San Francisco federal court to challenge the constitutionality of a 2008 voter-approved state constitutional amendment that protects marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys are part of the legal team for ProtectMarriage.com, which intervened to defend the amendment. ProtectMarriage.com is the banner organization for the official proponents and campaign committee of Proposition 8. Both a federal district judge and a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit issued rulings against the amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to review the case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, and oral arguments took place on March 26, 2013. A final decision from the court is expected by the end of June.
Marriage defenders to Supreme Court: Let debate continueAlliance Defending Freedom attorneys available to media following oral argument in Prop. 8 case
Monday, March 25, 2013
Attorney sound bite: Austin R. Nimocks
WASHINGTON — Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys who are co-counsel in defense of California’s constitutional amendment protecting marriage will be available for media interviews at the U.S. Supreme Court Tuesday following oral arguments in Hollingsworth v. Perry.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, members of the media in Washington, D.C. who desire interviews should contact Senior Director of Media Relations Greg Scott at (480) 710-1965. Members of the media outside of Washington, D.C. should call (480) 444-0020 or use the online interview request page.
“Government recognizes marriage because it benefits society in a unique way. The lifelong, faithful union of husband and wife promotes healthy, natural families for the common good today and for future generations,” said Alliance Defending Freedom Senior Counsel Austin R. Nimocks, a member of the Proposition 8 legal defense team. “The wisest course is for the court to resist demands to prematurely end the national debate over the future of marriage. Advocates for redefining marriage possess massive political, cultural, and social firepower. They do not need special judicial protection.”
Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys are part of the legal team defending the California marriage amendment on behalf of ProtectMarriage.com, the banner organization for the official proponents and campaign committee of Proposition 8.
The legal team filed its final brief in defense of the California marriage amendment on March 19. Charles J. Cooper of Cooper & Kirk PLLC is lead counsel and will argue before the Supreme Court Tuesday.
- Fact sheet on the case (includes links to additional resources)
- March 2013 #2: DOMA at the Supreme Court
- Pronunciation guide: Nimocks (NIM’-ucks)
Additional resources: Hollingsworth v. PerryScroll down to view additional resources pertaining to this case and its surrounding issue
Thursday, May 30, 2013
Previous news releases:
- 2013-03-25: Marriage defenders to Supreme Court: Let debate continue
- 2013-03-19: Attacks on Prop. 8 rebutted
- 2013-02-21: Comment on brief filed by Prop. 8 opponents
- 2013-02-01: Broad support for marriage, Prop. 8 reflected in numerous briefs at Supreme Court
- 2013-01-22: Prop. 8 defenders: Uphold marriage, let public debate
- 2012-12-07: U.S. Supreme Court to hear Prop. 8, DOMA cases
- 2012-07-31: Marriage defenders ask U.S. Supreme Court to hear Calif. Prop. 8 case
- 2012-06-05: Marriage defenders will ask U.S. Supreme Court to hear Calif. Prop. 8 case
- 2012-02-21: Prop. 8 defenders appeal to full 9th Circuit
- 2012-02-07: Prop. 8 defenders will appeal decision upholding Hollywood, S.F. attack on marriage
- 2011-12-07: Press conference Thursday after hearing at 9th Circuit in Calif. marriage amendment case
- 2011-11-17: Calif. Supreme Court: Prop. 8 deserves defense
- 2011-09-02: Can Prop. 8 proponents defend marriage when Calif. officials refuse to do so?
- 2011-06-14: ProtectMarriage.com legal team responds to Judge Ware’s ruling
- 2011-06-13: Comments of Alliance Defense Fund Senior Legal Counsel Austin R. Nimocks
- 2011-06-12: Will court throw out ruling on Calif. marriage amendment?
- 2011-04-25: Calif. marriage amendment defenders file motion to throw out district court ruling
- 2011-04-14: ProtectMarriage.com legal team seeks order for return of Prop. 8 trial recordings
- 2011-02-17: ADF response to Calif. Supreme Court’s decision to hear 9th Cir. question in marriage amendment case
- 2011-01-04: The people of California have a right to be defended in Prop. 8 case
- 2010-12-03: Will 9th Circuit rule to protect marriage?
- 2010-09-27: Broad support for marriage, initiative process reflected in numerous briefs filed with 9th Circuit
- 2010-09-20: Defenders of marriage, initiative process in Calif. file opening brief on appeal
- 2010-08-16: 9th Circuit puts brakes on decision that struck down Calif. marriage amendment
- 2010-08-12: Defenders of Calif. marriage amendment will appeal judge’s decision on motion for stay
- 2010-08-09: Selected quotes from the California marriage amendment decision
- 2010-08-04: Defenders of marriage in Calif. will appeal dangerous federal ruling
- 2010-06-15: Will the will of Calif. voters on marriage stand?
- 2010-01-08: Attorneys defending Calif. marriage amendment available to media during trial
- 2009-07-01: Proposition 8 defenders allowed to intervene against attack on Calif. marriage amendment
- 2009-05-29: Proposition 8 defenders seek to intervene against Hollywood-backed lawsuit
- Alan Sears: The play's the thing (Townhall.com, 2013-04-26)
- Caleb Dalton: Stepping across the line to support marriage (Townhall.com, 2013-03-28)
- Austin R. Nimocks: The marriage debate: Let democracy work… (Wall Street Journal, 2013-03-25)
- Doug Napier: That tail ain't a leg (Townhall.com, 2013-02-19)
- Austin R. Nimocks: Mother, country and same-sex marriage? (Washington Examiner, 2013-02-16)
- Kellie Fiedorek: Marriage: A relationship unlike any other (Townhall.com, 2013-02-13)
- Jim Campbell: Usher in a redefinition of marriage, usher out religious liberty (Townhall.com, 2013-02-12)
- Ken Connelly: The goodness of marriage (Townhall.com, 2013-02-11)
- Caleb Dalton: Democratic debate on marriage better than judicial commands (Townhall.com, 2013-02-08)
- Byron Babione: The opposite of the civil rights movement (Townhall.com, 2013-02-07)
- Jordan Lorence: Marriage carries a public purpose (USA Today, 2012-12-10)
- Alan Sears: Judges who redefine marriage will answer to ‘We the People’ (Washington Times, 2012-10-29)
- Alan Sears: Even the pretense of tolerance is gone (Townhall.com, 2012-06-24)
- Alan Sears: Marriage is marriage - Period (Townhall.com, 2012-06-07)
- Austin R. Nimocks: Baltimore Sun in your eyes (Townhall.com, 2012-05-29)
- Alan Sears: Peering through the smoke of marriage debate (Christian Post, 2012-05-27)
Map: The State of Marriage (click on image for PDF)
Legal documents, related news, and other related resources available in the right panel when this page is viewed at ADFmedia.org.